Five Isle of Wight museums were identified to work with a Community Engagement Project Manager to support them to deliver the It’s Your Museum project. This project will enable each museum to better connect with their local communities and enable more people to engage with heritage.
Each of the organisations recognise the role museums play in enriching and improving the quality of life, health, well-being and the local economy of residents, local business, and visitors here on the Isle of Wight. They are collectively working together, alongside Creative Island, to achieve a better understanding of how they can promote these outcomes through It’s Your Museum.
The Community Engagement Project Manager will be responsible for scoping, developing, and implementing community engagement programmes. Initially it will help each of the museums to develop and test ideas on how they reach and benefit the wider community. This will include working with the partnership to understand the current position, ambitions, and resources available.
The five museums are:
- The Classic Boat Museum is an accredited maritime museum telling the story of ship building and industry at the mouth of the Medina River through its collection of boats housed in the historic Medina Yard, Cowes, and its museum gallery situated within the iconic Columbine Yard complex at East Cowes.
- Situated overlooking Sandown Bay on the Isle of Wight, Brading Roman Villa is one of the finest Roman sites in the UK. The award- winning visitor centre and museum offer unique insights into Roman life in Britain, from beautifully preserved mosaic floors to an extensive collection of Roman archaeology.
- The award-winning Isle of Wight Steam Railway is a beautifully preserved, museum accredited heritage railway where visitors can settle back in immaculately restored Victorian and Edwardian carriages as the steam engine takes them on a ten-mile round trip through some of the Island’s stunning countryside, providing an unforgettable adventure through time. With the Train Story Discovery Centre, a museum telling the history of the railway on the Island and a year-round programme of events, it is one of the must-see destinations on the Isle of Wight.
- Dinosaur Isle Museum is home to an internationally important fossil collection including many unique types of dinosaur remains. Operated by the Isle of Wight Council it is located on Sandown seafront.
- The Shipwreck Centre & Maritime Museum is home to a vast collection of artefacts from shipwrecks, historic diving equipment, and Isle of Wight prehistory. They have activities for children and families, including a dress up box, and QR code and treasure trails.
Supported by Arts Council England and IW Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.